Wolfgang Puck Pizzeria and Cucina

>> Sunday, May 5, 2013

We decided to check out the "new" Wolfgang's at the MGM for Detroit Restaurant Week.  Scarlet, Master P, Hot Rod (HR) and I are so lucky to be joined by The Greek, who has peeped his eyeball out from his hibernation cave and saw it was time to awake.  If anyone has wondered where he has been, you only need to know that out of 10 million players of whatever-video-game-that-is, he has ranked in the top 5,000.  What a wonderful use of your precious time.
We had super-duper high hopes for tonight, as we had so loved the previous wolfgang establishment.  But, as you can already see by the abysmal 1 1/2 D rating above, we were sorely dissappointed.  We nicknamed our waiter "the angry waiter" because he just did not seem to be a happy person, and did not seem to enjoy his choice in vocation.
The atmosphere...is much like what used to be Saltwater (see our posting previously).  Yet, they removed some of the glitz, unfortunately.  And some of the light bulbs were burnt out.  It looks like they just don't care as much around here.
The food started off well enough with the bread basket, which was decent, but not extraordinary.  The hummus was "eh" ok.  I'm getting tired of hummus served with bread baskets.  Everyone seems to be doing this lately, so now it just seems unoriginal. Also, this is an Italian restaurant, and we are confused on the appropriateness of hummus.  Maybe I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me on the origins of hummus. The foccacia would have been better had it been warm, as the onions on top had turned slimy when cold.

Master P was very disappointing in the portion size for the Tuscan Bean soup.  This bowl is deceiving.  The amount of soup you see below is barely a ladle full.  Although I have come to discover you will not get full size portions during restaurant week. I want to disagree with this practice, because if you are trying to win over new customers, they may assume your portion sizes are always this small.   However, I did order my soup off the regular menu.  I choose the spring garlic soup.  I was also unimpressed and the soup was definitely not worth the $9.

Scarlet enjoyed the caprese salad, which astutely used roasted tomatoes instead of fresh...good sub for this time of year. HR also enjoyed the Caesar salad.  However, both HR and her were greatly disappointed with the pizza.  Hello....this IS a pizzeria..it's on the front sign!  The crust on one was "gooey" in the middle.  The sauce tasted exactly as if you had opened a can of tomato paste and spread it on.  The Italian sausage pizza states on the menu it contains "roasted garlic" and you cannot taste even a hint of garlic.  Do not waste your money on pizza here.  I have had infinitely better pizza at a dozen places:  Green Zone, Pizza Papalis, City Kitchen (try the spinach artichoke dip pizza), Supino's, Bommarito's, Mama Rosa's, Papa Romanos, MiChicago, Como's, Green Lantern, Buddy's, Cloverleaf....I could go on.

For my entree, I have the anglotti with english peas and goat cheese.  The portion was very small for $20.  Again, the picture here is deceiving.  This is a small portion.  The anglotti were skillfully made, but not all that flavorful.  The sauce was too salty.  The description included "asparagus".  This had literally about 1/4 stalk of asparagus sliced thin..probably less than that.  I really cannot say much good about this. I'm not a huge stickler for portion size, but if you are going to go small...it better pack a ton of oomph for twenty bucks.

Master P had the salmon off the Restaurant Week menu, and said it was "ok, just fine".  He isn't always big on flowery description.

The Greek has the spicy sausage pasta, and I will say this was probably the best dish of the evening.

I didn't mention the cocktails earlier.  The menu is creative and the drinks were decent, but not extraordinary.  But they lost points when I requested a vodka beverage, and received Gin.  But better Gin than nothing at all....which is what Scarlet received when requesting a second libation.

Master P ordered the cheesecake off the DRW menu.  It was extremely boring, bland, and disappointing.  This was like something you could have at Denny's or Ram's Horn (clack-clack).  Where...oh, where....are the days of Wolfgang Puck's extraordinary chocolate souffle with homemade fifty-bean vanilla ice cream???

Scarlet was surprised that at some point during the meal the "angry waiter" literally threw a fork at her place setting from about three feet away.  With no comment.  As if this is normal.  Scarlet thinks Wolfgang should be ashamed to put his name on this place.  It is a woeful decent past the pit of mediocrity in comparison with previous Wolfgang Puck Grill (see our previous posting).
We all agree that we would never come back or recommend it to anyone.  Most gave it a score of "1", but I think Master P feels bad for the place and gives it a "2".  I'll give it a 1.5 just to be generous.  I'll average it to that also.

Cheers,
Pippi

19 comments:

JCpenney coupons July 1, 2013 at 5:51 AM

Thanks for the information, i love your blog.

maddsolutiononline August 19, 2013 at 4:24 AM

When deciding for a new car but worried about future credit troubles, our Best car loan rates can guarantee that your finances will be balanced throughout the year. Any Fin specialists can find the option that best fits your needs, giving you the best car loan rates. We personalize our offer according to your request, assuring each and every client of the best car loan rates.

breban sabin August 19, 2013 at 4:29 AM

Pentru cã o afacere profitabilã are nevoie de un site pe mãsurã, vã invitãm sã alegeþi procesul de creare magazin online de la Dehalo. Serviciile noastre pentru creare magazin online sunt orientate în directia succesului iar experienta de peste 4 ani îsi face simtitã prezenta în fiecare proiect realizat. Indiferent de profilul dorit pentru creare magazin online, Dehalo iti oferã solutia idealã.

sabinel Aussie August 19, 2013 at 4:30 AM

În formarea profesionalã nimic nu este mai important decât urmarea unor cursuri acreditate , cu lectori renumiti si capabili sã vã deschidã portile dorite. Expert Training vã garanteazã activitãti de specialitate si o arie vastã de cursuri acreditate, indiferent de ramura pe care doriti sã vã axati. Cursantii nostri îsi construiesc viitorul prin excelentã, apelând la Expert Training cursuri acreditate.

maddsolutiononline August 19, 2013 at 4:32 AM

When we talk about Brisbane web design strategies it is hard for us not to talk about businesses. Accessing web design Brisbane services, our clients are looking to improve their image on the Brisbane online market. We can help you by offering our services, and also skilled people which will conceive for you the first step to a new level of performance. Developing strategies, implementing them and changing your web design will inform indirectly your viewers that you are constantly trying your best.

breban sabin August 19, 2013 at 4:32 AM

Thinking about your needs and desires we developed special services when it comes to accommodation Brisbane CBD. We offer you accommodation Brisbane CBD special packages that conceived just for you, our customers in order to choose the best. The accommodation Brisbane CBD has trained stuff that will make you journey easier and relaxing.

maddsolutiononline August 19, 2013 at 4:33 AM

Clover December 9, 2013 at 2:50 AM

I’m very glad to found this website because; it carries awesome and actually good data in favor of readers.

clover
www.n8fan.net

Leslie Lim March 26, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for your next write ups thanks once again.

Sherra
www.imarksweb.org

lee woo September 21, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Love it! Very interesting topics, I hope the incoming comments and suggestion are equally positive. Thank you for sharing this information that is actually helpful.

matreyastudios
matreyastudios.com

sarah lee October 13, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I really enjoyed reading your article. I found this as an informative and interesting post, so i think it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the effort you have made in writing this article.

edupdf.org

srik May 22, 2015 at 7:07 AM

nice work in searching cheap hotels list

Barbie Chiu October 5, 2015 at 10:18 PM

Good day! I found your site very interesting and informative . Thanks for taking time sharing it with us. I really enjoyed reading your post.

triciajoy.com

www.triciajoy.com

Cindy Dy January 24, 2016 at 9:16 PM

The simple truth is I like this article, the author's writing was very honest, very clever writing skills.

Books and Manual